Our Quick Reviews bring you great movie recommendations without the spoilers.
Plot: An ancient genie is released from a lamp when thieves ransack an old woman’s house. They are killed and the lamp is moved to a museum to be studied. The curator’s daughter is soon possessed by the genie and invites her friends to spend the night at the museum, along with some uninvited guests. The genie kills them off in an attempt to fulfill her ultimate wish.
The Lamp (1987), also known as The Outing, is a lesser-known American comedy/horror/parody directed by Tim Daley.
What we liked:
- Sports some pretty imaginative and hilarious death scenes.
- Has a definite ‘so bad it’s good’ vibe with goofy characters and an odd storyline.
- There is tons of awesome artwork associated with this movie.
What we didn’t like:
- While it adds to the camp feel of the movie, the acting is pretty questionable at times.
- The effects are very cheesy considering the movie’s decent budget.
Despite its flaws, The Lamp is fast paced and offers plenty of entertainment value. Strongly recommended for lovers of 80s B movie cheese.
Rating: 7 out of 10
Watch The Lamp trailer: